BUILD’s mission is to use entrepreneurship to ignite the potential of youth from under-resourced communities and propel them to high school, college & career success.
Building a Path Toward Success
How do you provide underserved young people with the resources they need to succeed? At BUILD, we do it by helping our students to start their own small businesses. As they reap the rewards – from keeping the profits to gaining self-confidence – they know there is a connection between hard work and creating a stronger community. They are excited to go to college.
The BUILD Program is not vocational education. Rather, it’s an in-school elective in 9th through 12th grade, taught by BUILD mentors and on-site teachers at partner public high schools. The program works like this:
- Students learn the basics of entrepreneurship while improving academic skills
- Students develop a business plan
- Students secure seed capital through a pitch to a Venture Capitalist
- Students run their own businesses
- Students concentrate on going to college