Now Accepting Applications for BUILD Virtual Mentors!
BUILD envisions a world where all students —regardless of race, socioeconomic status, or zip code—have the opportunity to develop the skills needed for personal and professional success in the 21st Century economy. BUILD is not a simulation. Participating students launch real businesses, supported by their teachers, peers, and mentors from the business community, while gaining the skills and support they need to graduate high school, go to college, and launch successful careers.
At BUILD we rely on a powerful network of volunteer mentors to guide our students through their entrepreneurship journeys. In addition to helping launch real businesses, BUILD mentors provide the support of positive adult role models and help our students develop skills they need to be successful professionals like communication, collaboration, innovation, and grit.
To ensure the well-being of our students and volunteers in light of the current COVID-19 pandemic, we have decided to pivot to virtual mentoring for the 2020/21 academic year. While we wish our students and mentors could meet in-person as usual, our hope is that moving virtual will make the commitment easier for volunteers and also give our students an opportunity to develop comfort with video conferencing and digital tools required for success in today’s workplace. See details below.
Virtual Mentoring Pilot for 2020/21 Academic Year
- Commitment: Weekly Zoom sessions (60-90 minutes); September to June
- Mentors will work in pairs (limit 2 mentors per team*) and will be matched with a group of 3-5 BUILD students
- All curriculum and content will be provided digitally by BUILD teachers, including weekly session objectives
- Mentors will also receive ongoing training and support from BUILD staff, including…
- Weekly emails
- Monthly newsletters
- Invitations to virtual mentor roundtable discussions & networking events